Cheese! Asiago, Parmesan, Mozzarella, and Cream Cheese! You had us at cheese. In case you didn’t know, Dutch people are notorious cheese lovers, no matter what kind of cheese it may be. The fact this recipe has four different cheeses, say no more. We are all in!
Now, as much as we would love just a plate full of cheese, we are pretty sure the majority of others would prefer maybe a bit more to a dish. We have a recipe with just the right balance of cheesy goodness; we are in love with our four cheese, spinach and basil stuffed chicken.
Brit made this dish for our mother on her birthday, and it was a hit! You know the sound you hear at dinner? The one where you are positive you have a home run…the sound of silence… where all you hear is the clattering of forks and knives against the plates. This four cheese, spinach and basil stuffed chicken recipe did just that, so if you enjoy having dinner conversations you should probably look for a less delicious stuffed chicken.
4 chicken breasts
2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoon garden Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup shredded asiago cheese
1/4 cup shredded goat parmesan cheese (regular parmesan will work too)
2 garlic cloves, fresh pressed
3 cups of spinach, sliced
5 large fresh basil leaves, sliced
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup milk
- Wash and trim chicken breast.
- Take one of the chicken breasts and place it flat on a cutting board. Place your hand on top of the chicken breast and slice through it completely to create two separate pieces. Repeat this with the remaining 3 chicken breasts. You will end up with 8 pieces of chicken.
- Take one of the sliced pieces of chicken and place it between two pieces of parchment paper. Use the flat side of a meat mallet and pound flat. Repeat for the remaining 7 pieces of chicken. Set aside.
- Combine in a small bowl chili powder, garden italian seasoning, kosher salt, and white pepper. Mix together.
- In a medium bowl combine cream cheese, asiago, parmesan, mozzarella, basil, spinach, and garlic. Add a pinch of kosher salt and white pepper to taste. Mix until fully combined.
- Lay chicken flat and season one side the chicken with the "Chicken Rub". Massage the rub into the chicken.
- Flip the chicken over, with the "Chicken Rub" side facing down. Place three large spoonfuls of the "Chicken Filling" in the center of the chicken.
- Fold one end of the chicken over the filling and roll. Place toothpicks to hold the chicken in place.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium high heat. Add two tablespoons olive oil to coat the skillet.
- Place chicken in skillet.
- Cook 7 to 10 mins each side, cover with lid, cook for an additional 10 minutes - until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from skillet, and place in a warm serving dish. Place foil over chicken.
- Add one tablespoon of flour to the olive oil and melted filling remaining in the skillet, to thicken it. Add milk to thin out mixture. Spoon this mixture over the chicken and serve.